Internet Security Consulting Mandeville, LA
BTS Cyber Security Consultants
Internet Computer Security Consulting For The Future
There may have been a time not long ago when computer security consulting was primarily needed by only the largest companies but not anymore. Today, businesses of every size have a significant online presence and typically allow employees to work remotely and with their smart phones. All these factors and more highlight the need for a vigilant information technology security system.
All computers are at risk for hacking, unauthorized use and infection with viruses or malware, and the truth is that if someone is determined to compromise the security of your system, there is probably not much you can do to stop them. However, you can place as many safeguards as practical to ensure you’re not an easy target.
Assessing the Computers
An initial step every business person should take is to analyze what’s already in place. Sometimes the most obvious safeguards have been overlooked. For instance:
• Be certain default passwords for hardware and software have been changed from factory settings.
• Regularly update your computers’ operating systems.
• Sign up for automatic updates of all security and encryption software.
Assessing the Flow of Information
IT security is a two way street. Yes, you need to establish firewalls and other safety protocols to prevent external threats, but it is just as important and necessary to evaluate how information is downloaded by employees and other authorized users. Disgruntled or dishonest employees are often far more likely to pose a significant threat to a company than an outsider.
Steps You Can Take
The best course to take is to be proactive; don’t wait until there’s a problem. It’s far easier to determine how to protect your business than trying to react and clean up the mess after a security breach. Consider these steps:
• Limit the computer access employees have to those that are actually necessary for conducting the business of the company.
• Be certain each employee has a unique password and all are aware they are responsible for all activity taken while their password is used for access.
• Conduct regular audits of all the information employees keep on their computers.
Be vigilant. While it may seem like a daunting task to stay abreast of all the information that flows through your business, the alternative is far less attractive. Proper computer security is a must for any size business, and you may find it advantageous to hire an IT security consultant to assess your business’ risk profile.
If you are concerned about your business network and computer security, call BTS Cyber Security now, or use the contact page for a complete security audit.